Monday, September 6, 2010

Sorry...

It's been so long since I've done a post! Life has gotten in the way. I do, however, have some things to share.

First, I tried the Peaches and Pork recipe on Chicken...it was Super Yummy! I served it with some baked beans and home made potato wedges.

Wedges:
Cut up some "New Potatoes" (I used the red skinned kind and left the skin on)
Put some olive oil in a zippy bag or in a glad ware container.
Seal and Shake.
Add in your favorite seasonings. (I used Rosemary and some parsley)
Shake some more.

Pour onto a baking sheet.
Bake at 350 until done. Simple, easy and delicious.


J hasn't been feeling the best lately, and he wanted something bland and some sort of soup...I decided I would try making Chicken and Stars.

2 Chicken breasts
1 box of Swanson's Chicken Broth
Seasonings (Italian Seasoning)
Handful of Frozen Mixed Veggies
Pastina

I diced up the chicken breasts and browned them, then slowly added in the broth. I then sprinkled some seasoning in until it smelled right and added in the frozen veggies. I let it all simmer for about 15 minutes and then added in the Pastina. ( I added WAAAAAAYYYY too much. I would guess I used 1/2-3/4 a cup of Pastina, and probably 1/4 would have been plenty.) I then let it simmer another 5-10 minutes then served.

The next time I make it, I'll take more time, and make sure to have better soup veggies (chopped celery, onions, carrots) and let it simmer a lot longer to let the flavors blend better, however over all it was really really good. I'm not sure how it would take to re-heating, since I added so much Pastina by the time we were done eating and cleaning up the boys etc to put away dinner, it had turned into a giant casserole, so we just tossed it.

One last thing to add, I've been trying to count calories and watch what I'm eating and tracking my calories here. I'm cutting back on Diet Coke and drinking more water. I'm (gasp!) exercising.
A couple of things I've learned I like in the last week or so include Greek Yogurt (It took a few tries to decide I liked it...the consistency is a lot thicker than regular yogurt but its good!), lots of fresh veggies for my snacks (rather than hitting up the vending machine for yet ANOTHER package of PB M&Ms). I've been making "old fashioned" oatmeal in the morning--still in the microwave, but it's supposed to be healthier than the instant. I bought some Agave nectar I've yet to try, but I'm excited to do so.

Last but not least, I've found a new (to me) way to enjoy salad.

Broccoli slaw
Chopped Cucumbers
Sliced Mushrooms,
Diced up Cheese Stick
Chopped Broccoli
Chopped Green Peppers

I then add 10 sprays of Ranch, put a lid on the bowl and shake. The 10 sprays usually coat the salad really well, adding a great flavor without too many calories.

So, that's what I've been up to....not as much cooking lately, but I'm excited for the fall weather and the delicious recipes that come with it.

What are you most excited for?

2 comments:

  1. My great grandma's apple bars!!! It's essentially a 2-crust apple pie in a jelly roll pan, but SO DELICIOUS!!! Oh, and I thought of you the other day as I was making 2 pans of scotcharoos!!! I didn't even get any!! Hope I'm not ruining your diet by mentioning these fattening and yummy foods!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far so good! I really wanted some chocolate earlier but just stuffed some veggies in my mouth to keep me occupied.

    The apple bars sound really good! The in-laws have an apple tree....I can't wait for all the fall goodies...apple crisp, cider, sauce....I'm so excited!

    I did have a bad day last Thursday, we had a food day at work and I ended up chowing down on some scotcharoos...and thought of you while I ate them!

    ReplyDelete