Monday, June 14, 2010

mmmm...meatloaf...

Yesterday was one of those icky kinda days. It was raining, chilly (inside anyway) and just seemed like a day for comfort food. I didn't have anything much thawed out, just a couple of pounds of ground pork that needed to be used or frozen...I didn't have some of things I normally have on hand and was stumped.

Then I found a meatloaf mix from Elsie's Kitchen the last time they were in town. (I normally DO make my own meatloaf, however, I was out of breadcrumbs...plus this is delicious and super easy.) I just started using ground pork recently, so this was new but I thought it certainly couldn't hurt any...and if all else failed, we could order pizza.

Mix was simple--called for 2 eggs, 1/2 cup water and 2 lbs of meat. Mix and bake at 350 for around 1/2 hour. I added some ketchup to the mix (I just squirted some in there, but I would guess less than 1/4 cup. I normally add mushrooms, some shredded cheese and once in a while bacon, buuut I was out of all of that, so just ketchup it was.)

Once that was mixed and in the oven, I whipped up a couple boxes of au gratin potatoes and then Spenny picked the veggies, so we had peas.

The meatloaf took right at 30 minutes to get done, so I took it out, cranked the oven to 450 to finish up the potatoes for another 5-10 minutes, then put the meatloaf back in for just a couple of minutes to let the ketchup bake on. It was pretty good! The color was different...it was lighter, the smell was a little off from the beef kind, but the best part of it was there was not a ton of grease in the bottom of the pan. Plus, the taste was pretty darn good! It was different of course, but not bad at all and I think that it would be pretty easy to get used to.

1 comment:

  1. We've been using ground pork as well! I think it adds just a little bit of extra flavor compared to the ground beef. I love it!

    ReplyDelete