Saturday, March 27, 2010

Breakfast Casserole

The other night Spencer had leftover spaghetti that he wanted (Sketti, Mom? pweeease?) so I needed to decide what to make for J and I. I wanted...NEEDED something quick, made of stuff we had on hand and yummy. After a quick survey of what we had around, I decided to make a breakfast casserole. Mom used to make these when I was younger and I refused to eat them, mostly because of the eggs. I'm slowly coming around to them tho, and this was a perfect start.

Ingredients:

Southern Style Hash-browns (I used the chunks, you could also use shreds, or even potatoes O'Brien)
6 eggs
Splash of Milk

The rest is really up to you. I made mushrooms and bacon and cheese in it, baked until mostly done, then sprinkled cheese on top.
However, you could add any omelet type toppings you would like:

Sausage, ham, mushrooms, onions, peppers, cheese, tomatoes, spinach, you name it.

Preheat the oven to about 350, pray an 8x8 pan with cooking spray, then fill the pan about 1/3 of the way with the hash-browns. Toss them in the oven and then stir them every once in a while, you basically want them cooked enough, they're not going to clump together in a little ball.

While those are cooking, mix your eggs, milk and fillings together, then pour over the potatoes when they are mostly done.

I usually bake around 15 minutes, give or take, depending on how thick the casserole is, the most important part is you want your eggs to be done. Once it is done, top with cheese and bake until melted and then serve.

It's also pretty easy to prepare the night before, just put in the fridge until time to bake, then just bake accordingly. This might take longer if you don't precook your hash browns first, but it's still yummy and also good to take to a breakfast or lunch potluck.

No comments:

Post a Comment