Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sunday Feb 28th

Thanks to my friend T's husband, I got a new cookbook last week so I was anxious to try one of the new recipes in it. This week our Sunday dinner was actually on Saturday due to us having other plans on Sunday. We made Orange-Pineapple Pork Loins, and some steam fresh veggies, for desert I followed it with a modification of my twinkie cake.

The original recipe for the pork loin was for pork chops, but I modified it and used the sauce as a glaze and it worked out well.

Recipe:

Orange-Pineapple Pork Chops
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice, divided
1 tsp corn starch
1/8 tsp all spice
1 medium orange, peeled sectioned and seeded

Brown chops on each side.Add ¾ cup pineapple juice and bring to a boil.Cover, reduce heat and cook for 45 min or until chops are tender. Combine cornstarch, remaining ¼ cup pineapple juice and all spice in a small bowl.Stir into skillet and cooking until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.Add orange sections and cook until thoroughly heated.

I got to working on it, realized I didn't have allspice, so I omitted it, then I didn't have an orange, however, I did have mandarin oranges...so, I improvised, drained the oranges and used them instead. Turned out great! I added the oranges towards the very end, just like it said and it was great!

Cake:

Box of 1 step angel food cake mix
1 can of cherry pie filling

Mix

Bake at 350 until done.

I *may* have let it bake a little too long, but still, it was good. Served it warm with whipped topping. I do prefer the original better, made with lemon pie filling, but J liked the cherry chunks. Overall, it was a decent attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment