Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday March 7

Tonight I just kinda threw dinner together, I had gotten a pork loin out of the freezer yesterday so I knew that was going to be the main course. J wanted pork chops and apples, so I decided to improvise. Turned out pretty good, I think I *might* prefer the chops to the loin, mostly because it gets more carmelized.
I got the recipe from a news paper, and have made it my own since then. Sinec I prefer the chops, I'll give that one instead today, but the loin is the same thing, just roasted the whole time instead of browned.

4 pork chops
2 apples
Brown sugar
Cinnamon

Brown the chops in a skillet for a few minutes on each side. While they're cooking, cut up apples and place in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Add the pork chops in, the sprinkle everything with the brown sugar and cinnamon. I don't actually measure, I use about a handful of sugar and then sprinkle the cinnamon on, but I know some people (T!) don't cook well that way, so I believe the original recipe called for 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and something like 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. I might be off by some, but I'm of the belief that you just "know" when it's enough :)

Cover with tin foil and bake. I remember the recipe said something like 20 minutes the first time and they took FOR. EV. VER. Seriously. I think I used good thick Iowa Chops and they used those paper thin chops because it took a long time for the meat to cook, so now I just cook until done. (With the loin, I always end up cutting it into 3rd or 4ths, and then usually in half again, depending on the size, mostly because I don't want to undercook the meat)

Overall, it was delicious and yummy, but I think next time, I'll go back to my chops :)

No comments:

Post a Comment